The Virginian-Pilot: Social Media Editor
The Virginian-Pilot is looking for a social media editor who gets excited about all things social — from writing the perfect tweet to teaching a fellow journalist how to use Facebook’s newest features. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in the advantages and features of all mainstream social media platforms, familiar with emerging platforms, and eager to explore new features and networks.
Responsibilities include crafting posts for all applicable social media platforms, particularly Facebook, Twitter and Instagram; continuously monitoring social media platforms; finding interesting, important story tips before they hit the mainstream; preparing reports on use and influence metrics; suggesting ways to enhance The Pilot’s social presence; and keeping up-to-date on the latest social platforms and trends.
The social media editor must possess strong news judgment, be able to make decisions quickly, and execute ideas against high-pressure deadlines. Strong communication skills are required. Experience in social media management is required; experience in a newsroom (a newspaper, TV or radio station, or digital enterprise) is expected.
• Develop and manage comprehensive social media strategy for The Virginian-Pilot, building social plans that drive broad reach and strong resonance with a target audience.
• Responsible for planning and day to day management of all social media accounts, tracking and reporting. This includes writing posts and creating custom images, GIFs, videos, etc.; and creating in-depth quarterly reports on all Pilot social media accounts.
• Analyze and report web analytics and make recommendations to improve user experience, drive traffic and increase the subscriber base.
• Share social media tips with the newsroom on a weekly basis. Highlight what’s working, and provide one-on-one and team coaching on areas that need improvement. Help train a newsroom of experienced journalists on social media protocols and platforms so that audience growth is shared throughout the newsroom.
• Play an active role in developing, planning and driving The Pilot’s social and digital initiatives and programs while maintaining brand voice and ensuring clear and consistent brand messaging.
• Recommend and execute social media ad campaigns.
• Develop influencer engagement plans that help our readers (and potential readers) engage with social and digital initiatives and programs.
• Monitor news feeds (the Pilot and other sources) and social media for breaking news.
• Moderate comments, answer queries, prompt engagement and escalate issues submitted through the • Pilot’s social accounts. Maintain community standards.
• Manage events and forums that take place via social media platforms.
• Possess strong news judgment
• Ability to make decisions quickly, and execute ideas against high-pressure deadlines
• Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
• BA/BS degree required
• Experience in social media management
• Experience in a newsroom setting (newspaper, TV or radio station, or digital enterprise)
• Experience with social media ad campaigns and identifying and targeting influencers is a plus