Virginia Press Association: Director of Administration
Director of Administration
The Virginia Press Association (VPA) was founded in 1881 and is statewide organization that represents the interests of 200 newspapers and magazines in Virginia. VPA supports newspapers through lobbying efforts in the Virginia General Assembly, facilitates print and online advertising campaigns, and provides professional development and training for our members. We champion the common interests of Virginia newspapers and the ideals of a free press in a democratic society.
The VPA Director of Administration provides the executive director with critical support in the areas of financial management, conference and training planning, IT support, building management and marketing, public notice website management, special projects, strategic planning and other administrative duties. This position reports directly to the executive director and supervises the Member Services Manager. The Director of Administration serves as ED in the executive director’s absence.
- In consultation with the executive director, assist in preparing and managing the budget
- Manage budget coding, accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Manage Employee Timesheets/Payroll
CONFERENCE PLANNING AND TRAINING MANAGEMENT
- Work with training/professional development committee on annual conference and training program
- Manage internal team on coordinating VPA contest and conference program
- Work with Member Services Manager on logistics for contest, conference and training
- Work with Communications Manager and contract IT support to plan and manage for VPA/VPS technology needs
- Work with Executive Director to formulate annual strategic plan and track benchmarks throughout the year
VPA BUILDING MANAGEMENT
- Develop maintenance schedule for building and oversee outside contractors including landscapers, janitorial staff, alarms, heating & air conditioning, plumbing, roofing, etc.
- Act as liaison with main tenant (Yukon eLearning)
- Work with Comms Manager to develop marketing program to increase building rentals
PUBLIC NOTICE WEBSITE MANGEMENT
- Act as liaison with Illinois Press Association re: VA Public Notice website
- Monitor VPA member uploads and payment of upload fees
- Troubleshoot on platform or other technical issues
- Four-year college degree required (master’s degree a plus)
- Three to five years of association and/or non-profit management experience in a key management role including strategic planning
- Financial management experience including the development and management of organizational budgets, payroll management and accounts payable & receivable
- Conference planning experience including managing a statewide conference, negotiating hotel contracts, and organizing special events
- Experience working with and updating CMS systems, mail, marketing and design programs such as Mail Chimp, Survey Monkey, Constant Contact, Canva, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to assess the IT needs for the entire organization and make recommendations on how to improve staff efficiency and productivity
- Property management experience or the ability to oversee the day-to-day management of VPA’s headquarters including working with vendors and contractors
- Highly professional and positive individual who is very comfortable working on and leading teams
To Apply: Email cover letter, resume and three references to: Janet Madison at email@example.com
Application Deadline: Friday May 31, 2019 by 5 p.m.