Richmond Times-Dispatch: Editorial Page Editor
Writes editorials and works with the executive editor and publisher on overall editorial page policy. Creates a dialogue with our community through a variety of opinions in print and on social media.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Decides with the publisher and executive editor on overall editorial-page policy and on specific editorial topics.
2. In charge of a staff of editorial writer, columnist, and editors.
3. Give direction to editorial writers about how to approach individual topics. Approve or disapprove topic suggestions from the editorial writers.
4. Maintain strong social media presence for editorial content and reader engagement.
5. Edit the editorials written by the editorial writers and columnists.
6. Writes editorials.
7. Produce print and web pages.
8. Proofread pages.
9. Oversee the daily letters-to-the-editor package.
10. Meet with civic leaders in Virginia communities. Helps to plan community conversations (Public Square).
11. Select the roster of syndicated op-ed columns.
12. Approve or disapprove locally written op-eds.
13. Organize special projects on the op-ed page.
14. Receive and respond to comments and complaints from the public about the opinion side of the newspaper, including on social media.
15. Hire and terminate staff members.
16. Prepare the annual departmental budget.
17. Propose salary-increase recommendations to the publisher.
18. On-site, regular and reliable attendance is required.
19. Safely drive to and from various locations.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Knowledge of journalism principles, ethical standards and techniques.
2. Proficient in Social Media
3. Ability to follow all Company policies and procedures including but not limited to attendance standards.
4. Drivers license
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Degree in journalism or equivalent degree.