News Copy Editor
The Richmond Times-Dispatch is looking for a versatile copy editor who has the traditional skills of the trade — a critical mind, solid command of AP style and top-notch headline-writing abilities — as well as 21st-century digital savvy, such as social media proficiency and SEO skills. Our ideal candidate is a news and culture junkie who can discuss local politics, foreign affairs and what to watch on Netflix. Page design skills are a bonus.
The RTD is committed to community journalism. To join our team, submit a résumé, cover letter and your five best headlines (print or web) by email to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
* Edit news, business and feature stories (and possibly sports)
* Use strong news judgment and attention to detail to identify problems in stories and collaboratively work toward solutions
* Balance multiple assignments and priorities on deadline
* Write engaging, keyword-filled headlines, as well as cutlines that complement stories
* Uphold standards in a fast-paced environment
* Pull wire stories and prepare them for publication
* Help keep Richmond.com up to date through our content management system
* Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or related discipline
* Two years of experience at a daily newspaper
* Be a strong communicator, with excellent interpersonal skills, who works with desk colleagues and newsroom departments in a professional manner
* Able to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends