Foothills Forum is a non-partisan, nonprofit civic news organization that provides in-depth reporting on major issues in Rappahannock County, Virginia.
We are a model for community-supported journalism in a rural community. Our reporting projects have won Virginia Press Association awards, attracted national attention and served as a prototype for other nonprofit, news organizations.
Our articles appear in the Rappahannock News, a weekly newspaper in our county.
We seek a dynamic executive director to manage our organization in partnership with the chair of the board and board of directors. The executive director will raise funds, expand our public presence, think strategically, direct operations – and most importantly – help us to continue to produce first-rate journalism.
The executive director will report directly to the chair of the board and indirectly to the board of directors.
The executive director will be responsible for fiscal, administrative and programmatic operations, including:
1. Building relationships with community leaders and organizations.
2. Building public presence through public speaking and through news media, social media, written materials and website content.
3. Supporting fundraising, including drafting grant applications and working with the board to nurture donors.
4. Organizing and managing events, such as public forums and discussions, board meetings and retreats, and fundraising activities.
5. Working with board members, volunteers and journalists to articulate community issues and plan timely and significant journalism projects.
6. Mentoring and directing any administrative contractors and/or interns.
1. Experience working with boards of directors, as well as with community, volunteer and other nonprofit organizations.
2. A background in journalism or public affairs or other knowledge regarding the role, responsibility and standards of news media, is desirable.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including familiarity with digital communication and engagement strategies, and public speaking experience.
4. An ability to collaborate, build partnerships and work with diverse groups.
5. Experience in managing events and multidisciplinary projects.
6. Must be passionate about transparency, freedom of speech and civic engagement.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Foothills Forum office is located in Washington, Virginia. While the executive director may often work from home, active and frequent participation in board and local community events is required.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and letter of interest to Lindsay Sonnett at email@example.com