Digital Audience Editor: Virginian-Pilot
The Virginian-Pilot and Daily Press
Digital audience editor
The Virginian-Pilot and Daily Press are hiring an audience editor who writes beautiful headlines and dreams big. Part of the digital team, this position will be the point person for homepages and will at times assist on social media. The ideal candidate is collaborative, flexible, detail-oriented and digitally savvy. We’re looking for someone who will play a key day-to-day role in our newsrooms but also work on future strategy. This position is based in Norfolk, Va.
- Working with reporters and editors to write compelling, SEO-friendly headlines and optimize story presentation.
- Sending out news alerts
- Assist in distributing content on social platforms, including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Reddit, Nextdoor, and LinkedIn.
- Communicating with reporters and editors throughout the day on story scheduling and promotion.
- Leveraging web-based analytics tools (Google Analytics, Chartbeat, Facebook and Twitter analytics, etc.) to determine effectiveness and help make decisions.
- Curating wire coverage.
- Editing stories and other text for spelling, grammar, and Associated Press and Virginian-Pilot style.
- Helping to build community participation and engagement.
- Helping to train newsroom staff on new tools or digital initiatives.
- Staying on top of latest news, internet trends, etc.
- Knowledge of web production and design (HTML, CSS, Photoshop).
- Knowledge of Associated Press style, grammar and spelling.
- Knowledge of audio and video editing and formatting for the web.
- Exceptional communication skills and attention to detail.
- At least three years of experience in a newsroom (newspaper, TV or radio) or digital news enterprise.
- At least two years of experience packaging and presenting content for the web.
- BS or BA in a related field (journalism, communications, etc.).
- This position includes weekend work.
The Virginian-Pilot is located in Norfolk, Va. The Daily Press is located in Newport News, Va. Jointly, they cover southeastern Virginia, northeastern North Carolina and the Outer Banks. Both organizations are owned by Tribune Publishing and operated by Norfolk, Va.-based Virginia Media.
Tribune Publishing, Inc., and each of its subsidiaries including, without limitation, Virginia Media, is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.