The 2019 VPA competition for advertising, writing, photography, art, presentation, multimedia and public service contest will open December 9, 2019. Complete competition rules will be posted to www.vpa.net by December 4, 2019.
- The contest year is January 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019.
- The deadline to submit entries for all regular contest categories is 3:00 p.m. on January 17, 2020. All entries requiring hard copy submission must be shipped/mailed to arrive at VPA no later than January 21, 2020, keeping in mind that January 20, 2020 is a post office holiday.
- The deadline to generate entry forms for the two Public Service Awards and Outstanding Journalist/Sales Professional Awards is the contest system closing date of January 17, 2020. ENTRANTS WILL BE GIVEN AN ADDITIONAL TWO WEEKS TO COMPLETE THEIR PROJECTS/NOMINATION NOTEBOOKS AND SHIP THEM TO VPA TO ARRIVE BY FEBRUARY 3, 2020.
What’s New for 2019?
- For the first time this year we are using the BetterBNC contest platform.
- Entries for both the news and advertising contests will be entered on the same site. Log-in information will be sent to the publisher or other top official at each member publication no later than December 4, 2019. The recipient will be asked to share login information with staff member(s) responsible for making the news contest and advertising contest entries in the system at their publication.
- Entry division/competition groups have been adjusted to reflect changes in overall circulation numbers published in the Virginia Press Directory 2019 Edition. It is very possible that your competition group has changed for this year. The following circulation groups are in effect for the 2019 contest year.
|Daily Group 1||D1||Up to 9,999||Non-Daily Group 1||N1||Up to 2,499|
|Daily Group 2||D2||10,000 to 29,999||Non-Daily Group 2||N2||2,500 to 4,999|
|Daily Group 3||D3||30,000 or more||Non-Daily Group 3
Non-Daily Group 4
|5,000 to 7,999
8,000 and up
|Specialty||S1||Less often than weekly, or targeted/niche, any size|
The contest is open to all publications with Active, Associate, or Online memberships in the Virginia Press Association (VPA). Information about membership may be obtained by contacting the VPA office. Members must be current on any outstanding invoices (including dues). Please contact Janet Madison (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions or concerns.