Coordinates all editorial content for Coast (20 editions per year), CoastOBX.com, Outer Banks Magazine (one edition per year), OuterBanksMagazine.net, Outer Banks Woman (one edition per year), Christmas on the Coast (one edition per year) and social media sites, plus any other publications in the North Carolina advertising department.
Key tasks include planning editorial content for all publications, working with freelance writers and photographers, copy editing and proofreading, working with designers, advertising staff and other departments.
• Plans content for print publications, websites and social media.
• Generates innovative story ideas, maintains an organized list of ideas from freelancers and executes those ideas.
• Establishes editorial calendars and deadlines.
• Adheres to strict deadlines with the willingness to work on deadline until the job is done.
• Carefully manages and works within budgets.
• Assigns articles to freelance writers and photo assignments to freelance photographers.
• Copy edits articles for clarity, completeness, fairness and mechanics and proofreads all copy and/or coordinates with freelance copyeditors and proofreaders on some projects.
• Strong writing component: Regularly writes headlines, captions, blurbs, listings, calendar content, sidebars and social media posts. Writes short articles and feature stories as needed.
• Stays up to date with news and events from Currituck and Corolla through Roanoke Island, the mainland and Hatteras and Ocracoke islands.
• Participates in planning meetings and brainstorming sessions with the advertising department.
• Coordinates with photographers, artists and graphic design department on visual elements to accompany stories.
• Updates online calendar of events weekly.
• Develops and implements a social media plan.
• Works in the TownNews software platform to populate CoastOBX.com.
• Works independently but maintains appropriate and effective communication with team leader, freelancers, advertising department, graphic design department and various departments in Norfolk.
• Recruits, hires and retains the best freelance talent.
• Maintains appropriate and effective communication with local business owners and advertisers.
• Carefully manages the crossover between advertising and editorial.
• Manages payroll for freelancers, working closely with accounting department.
• Practices good stewardship with company resources.
• Demonstrated ability to recognize good stories and implement them.
• Superior editing and writing skills.
• Proven ability to work independently as well as effectively in a team environment.
• Demonstrated ability to take on increasing levels of responsibility.
• Demonstrated ability to handle a variety of tasks effectively at once.
• Thorough understanding of libel law.
• Demonstrated commitment to valuing everyone’s contribution regardless of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or other difference.
• Demonstrated effectiveness at managing change, solving problems, making decisions, resolving conflict and developing people.
• Demonstrated ethical behavior.
• Effective written and oral communication skills.
• General knowledge of the Outer Banks region, people and businesses.
• Has full understanding of social media how it can drive audiences.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
• Three (3) years of proven writing and editing experience.
• One (1) year of management experience.
Please attach a cover letter explaining why you would be perfect for this job and your knowledge of the Outer Banks. Also send a resume and three examples of work that you have led from concept to execution.
NAGS HEAD, North Carolina, United States